A permit is not required for fences 6 feet tall or less but must meet all regulations below. Taller fences may be allowed when applicable regulations for accessory structures are met.

Height Limitations

  • Front yard: 42 inches (3 1/2 feet)
  • Side street front yard, corner lots: 42 inches (3 1/2 feet)
  • Side & rear yards: 72 inches (6 feet)

Construction and Placement

  • Setback: 1 foot from front and side street front property lines; no setback for all other property lines.
  • The higher quality side and/or side without posts must face adjoining properties.
  • Must be designed and constructed to withstand winds during typical Illinois storm events.
  • Visibility Triangle: fence or wall may not impede vision above 2.5 feet within the area 15 feet from two intersecting street right-of-way lines.
  • Please be aware of your property boundaries. No fence may be placed within the public right-of-way.
  • Residents should locate all utilities on their property prior to commencing work. To request a utility locate call 8-1-1 or visit http://www.illinois1call.com.


  • Must be durable, weather resistant, rust proof, and easily maintained.
  • Acceptable materials include wrought iron, vinyl, wood, brick, stone, stucco, wire, and others of a similar look.
  • Wire/chain link in front of the principal structure must be screened with landscaping. (except Resource or Industrial Districts, public services and utilities).
  • Must be kept in good condition, plumb, true, and without damage.

Locating Your Property Line

  • A survey is not required for fences or other construction projects, but residents are encouraged to correctly establish their property lines. Residents may attempt to locate corner lot pins or hire a registered land surveyor to locate and replace any missing pins, and also to locate any easements. The City will not locate property lines.
  • Disputes regarding fence or structure placement and private property lines are considered civil matters and must be resolved between property owners without City intervention.
  • Questions or issues regarding property rights including encroachment, access, and maintenance should be directed to a personal attorney.

Additional Info

Printable fence handout (PDF)