What can I do about my neighbors tree branches hanging over my property?

If your neighbor's tree branches are encroaching onto your property, first attempt to discuss the problem with your neighbor to determine if an amicable solution is possible. If not, the law may allow you to cut that part of the branch that is hanging over onto your property, so long as no permanent damage is done to your neighbor's tree. The law does not permit you, however, to go on to your neighbor's property and cut the branch, or cut any branches or parts thereof that are located on your neighbor's property. For clarification of the rights and responsibilities involved, or if your property has been damaged because of falling branches from a neighbor's tree and you wish to seek payment for damages, you should seek the services of a private attorney, as a tree on private property is generally considered a private matter.

Show All Answers

1. How do I make a Freedom of Information Request?
2. What does the City do about abandoned/inoperable vehicles?
3. Is the City's Corporation Counsel "my attorney" if I live in the City of Moline?
4. Where can I find the Moline Code of Ordinances?
5. My neighbor and I are involved in a dispute. What can the City do to help resolve this situation?
6. What is a Notice & Order courtesy notice?
7. I have been issued an ordinance violation, what should I do?
8. What is the Rental Housing Inspection Program?
9. Are you required to have an attorney for your ordinance violation case?
10. When will the City close the ordinance violation case against me?
11. Can I request community service as penalty for my offense?
12. What are the fines for ordinance violations?
13. Can juveniles enter their plea alone?
14. What forms of payment does the Circuit Court accept?
15. What can I do about my neighbors tree branches hanging over my property?
16. What is a weed/vegetation nuisance violation?