Do I need a permit?
If your project disturbs 500 square feet or more of land, you are required to pull a Class 1 or Class 2 Drainage Permit from the City.

If your project disturbs 1 acre of land or more, you will be required to file a notice of intent with the State of Illinois’ Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The City also requires a Class 2 Drainage Permit to be drawn but the requirements mimic what is already required by the Illinois EPA.

When in doubt, contact the Engineering Division of the Public Works Dept at 309.524.2363. Working without a permit means being out of compliance with both the City and State and can bring fines and legal action.

Show All Answers

1. Why does Moline have a Drainage Permit?
2. Do I need a permit?
3. When will my site be inspected?
4. If I don’t need a permit, do I still need erosion control?
5. Why is the permit threshold (500 square foot land disturbance) so low?
6. Why is the Drainage Permit fee so expensive?
7. I took out the Drainage Permit but someone else (homeowner, subcontractor) violated the Ordinance. Why am I in trouble?
8. I’m a contractor / homebuilder / landscaper not an erosion control company. How do I learn about erosion control?
9. Do I have to hire an engineer to obtain a permit?
10. What if I already started the project?
11. How long does it take to obtain a permit?